Sunday 22 January 2012

Speed Before Endurance

Since posting my training I've been receiving a lot of advice from armchair coaches.  Why so much speed?  You should lay off the strength exercises?  Why don't you work on your aerobic base?

I've been training with the focus on speed my entire career that I'm really not interested in experimenting with other systems of periodization.  For myself my weakness has always been my lack of speed, so I spend a lot of time early in a training build up focusing on improving speed.  My approach is very systematic.  In order for me to have an opportunity to break 2hr30min in June I know I have to be capable of running a 400m in under 60 seconds.  I will not adjust my training until I reach this standard in a time trial.  Once this is accomplished I will shift my focus to running under 4:08 for a 1500m.  Once this is accomplished I will shift my focus to running a 5000m in under 15:20.  I think you get the idea.  Without this basic speed I have no chance in running faster at the longer distances.  I employ this approach with any athlete I coach that lacks speed.  It's basic mathematics.  It's amazing how many endurance athletes think they will improve if they simply focus on improving there endurance.  Most endurance athletes are comfortable training at aerobic intensities, but have them increase the intensity and you'll see a lot happen especially mechanically (this is a topic in itself).  Though I perhaps spend a lot of time building speed I don't think I neglect the aerobic component - isn't that what a warm up & cool down are for?

Monday
35 minutes easy with Lisa

Tuesday
10 minute easy run + 24 x 10 seconds fast (lots of rest between sprints)

Wednesday
30 minutes of rehabilitation exercises

Thursday
25 minute easy run + 1600m at 5:50 minute mile pace + 15 minute easy run

Friday
15 minute easy run + 25 minutes of upper body weights + 10 minute easy run

Saturday
30 minute hill progression run

Sunday
25 minute easy run

2 comments: