Monday 2 January 2012

Mike's New Years Resolutions

I'm usually not one for making New Years Resolutions, but this year I'm finding it's been such a challenge to maintain any sort of balance between work and fitness.  Who would of thought launching a new business would be so time consuming!

Anyhow my resolution for this year is to win the Manitoba Marathon.  Might as well dream big!   I realise it's a bit of a pipe dream so I really want to do everything in my power to reach the starting line of the marathon having given a good effort in training.  In attempt to maintain some consistency I will post my weekly training.  Be warned I am completely out of shape, so the log will look less than impressive.

I believe I have 24 weeks remaining until I toe the line for the Manitoba Full Marathon.

Week 1 (December 26th - January 1st)

Monday
25 Minute Treadmill Hill Progression + 25 minutes of upper body weights

Performed at Goodlife fitness.  Started run slow, increased paced throughout.  Finished at 8% incline and 8.0mph.  I will use this as a benchmark and look to improve the intensity over the next weeks.

Tuesday
30 Minute Easy Run + 25 minutes of upper & lower body exercises.

Performed at Maxbell Center.  I forgot my running shoes, so I went barefoot.


Wednesday
Crossfit 204 - warmup + pull-up & overhead squats + cool-down

I don't remember the exact details of the workout.  All I know it was one of the most difficult workouts I have performed at Crossfit

Thursday
10 Minute Easy Run + 6 x 10 seconds fast (walk back rest) + Circuits 5 sets of 100m fast + 10 pull-ups + 100m fast + 10 squat jumps + 100m fast + 10 Minute Easy Run

Performed at Maxbell Center with a few athletes I coach.  I was only able to do 3/4 of the workout with them.

Friday
Day Off

Saturday
Crossfit 204

It was a skills day.  We did a standing long jump in which I recorded 7ft.  I would like to try this again in a couple months to evaluate if I've improved.  5 minutes of double unders.  Finishing with  a 500m row.

Sunday
90 Minute Easy Run

I ran outdoors with my longtime training partner Bradley.  Last summer he kicked my butt over the final 100m at Manitoba Marathon.  He's always in good fitness, so our run gave me a bit of an idea of my current fitness levels.  I was extremely sore from Saturday's Crossfit workout.

For this upcoming week my goal is to increase the running mileage ever so slightly.  I'm happy with my quality.  The focus needs to be to improve pure speed.  I'm hoping the strength training and CrossFit and strength training will accomplish this.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty impressive goal and great first week! How was it running barefoot?

    ReplyDelete