Sunday 6 November 2011

Longest Long Run Yet!

Hi Everyone,
Kelsey and I have done our longest long runs yet, although we did them seperately due to our conflicting schedules! I ran 4:15 and she did 4:30. The good news? We now know we have the endurance to be on our feet that long. The bad news? If we take any longer to do the marathon we get kicked off the course! Kelsey and I have not been using Garmins or anything so we don't exactly know our pace... We have Mike as our trainer so hopefully he knows what hes doing! I haven't heard too much about how Kelseys run went, but I'll tell you a little bit about mine. I think I may have given myself a minor injury to my quad at crossfit on the Sunday, which I did not notice until I attempted to do an hour long run on the wednesday, where I pretty much limped through the entire run. This worried me BIG time because an injury while training is the last thing I needed! Luckily Mike did some work on me and by the time I did my long run on Saturday it was gone.   I woke up bright and early (which was actually really really dark) at about 6AM. I was pretty nervous about doing a run this long, as the longest run I had done before this was only about 3 hrs. The weather turned out to be pretty great for a run this long, it was cool but not too cold so that I was freezing for four hours. It was weird to be running so long that I began when it was dark, ran while the sun came up and then kept running until late morning, something I have never done! I decided to take two short breaks, once at my house at about 2 hrs, and then another one at about three hours to grab some water. I decided not to stop too long because I've realized that its almost impossible for me to get going again once I stop, which is why I hate running where theres alot of traffic lights! I was really happy at the stamina I had built up during the Running Room clinic I had done, I never really felt a need to stop or that I couldn't run anymore which is what I'm hoping for on raceday! Mike has made a goal for Kelsey and I, which is to beat Mark Messiers time of 4:12 at the NYC marathon which is a time I would be totally fine with- well, I'll be happy with anytime that doesn't get me removed from the course...
One snag with the long run: I think I may be in jeopardy of losing a toenail- which is new for me! I hope it can hang on, and am glad it is no longer sandal season!
Talk to you soon, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment